Saturday, January 24, 2009

Perfectly Imperfect #2

**Warning: this is a long post...and Blogger is having issues with spacing my paragraphs correctly. :)

Hi again! I've been mulling over what I wrote in the previous post and I'm encouraged by the responses I received about it. Thanks for your input! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I've been reading some of these same feelings on other blogs too (even one that talks about home decor being perfectly imperfect: The Inspired Room) and so I've come up with some more on the subject of letting go of perfection in our creativity. I've had this in my 'draft' folder for a week or so, trying to decide if I'm ready to share more...so here goes. :) What I know: perfection or the pursuit of perfection or the fear of imperfection will only hinder us creatively. I hope the following post makes sense, so bear with me or you can skip all of it altogether. ;) It's a long post. I'm writing this to help myself process this, to try to find a way to open up/release my creativity and find something true for myself; and I'm throwing this part two out there for anyone who might identify too.

I thought of a quote I heard a long time ago: the more you know the less you fear. If you don't try something, you won't know if you like it or not, or if it will work out or not. Fears and insecurities keep me from doing so much. Imperfection, to me, has always gone hand in hand with fear of rejection. Will it (whatever "it" happens to be) be okay? Will it be acceptable? I have to tell myself "yes, it will." It's OK. (Another Ali quote I love). I have to keep telling myself these things everyday. Do I go about making art & sharing it bravely? No....no, no, and no. I wish I were more bold. Heck, I'd love to be bold. Period. I'm so hard on myself. I've only just started to allow/encourage myself to play and release bits of my artful/artsy/artist's heart. I have to tell myself everyday, many times on some days, to just create something. Just do something. It sure is hard though when I've run into the proverbial brick wall & I don't feel like being creative. Recently someone shared this with me, about how they feel, "I'm a frustrated perfectionist who will often choose no action whatsoever, rather than risk imperfection." I can definitely relate with that!


I'm an introvert. (according to an online quiz, 79.41% so. lol) I can be outgoing, absolutely, when I have to be, when I push myself. I'll only show the real me to people I feel comfortable - safe - with. And at last count, it's only a handful of people and even those people don't know every facet about the real me. I'm an observer. I'm a private person and I'm shy. Especially when it comes to sharing my thoughts, opinions, ideas, artwork & photography. These things would give light to what makes me tick. Do I dare risk showing these things? Do I dare let people know I have faults and quirks and my life can be messy....that I might be. . .imperfect? To try new things is really putting myself out there. To share my art and photography is putting myself out there. This blog is an exercise in putting myself out there. Will the thoughts I express be accepted? I have to keep telling myself it's OK if they aren't. :) (Annnnnnd, it doesn't help at all that I'm a wee bit of a procrastinator!) lol

I love Donna Downey's Campaign for Creativity. Check it out when you have time. I'm still thinking about Tracey's posting at ShutterSisters.com from a week or so ago too, "Does it feel like there is something within you that is begging to come to the surface—something that can no longer be denied? I am holding onto this belief that if we’re willing, something beyond our wildest dreams might emerge." Hmmm,... if we're willing. If we're willing to just try? Willing to embrace imperfection? Willing to accept the imperfections of others? I'd love to have that "something beyond my wildest dreams" emerge!

Would you like more inspiration? Check out Jen Lee's post about her and Jen Lemen's Portfolio Project. There's a podcast there you can listen to. It's really inspiring, to me, anyway. :) One of them says something about making art...just putting something down & getting it done "fast & dirty". They're talking about painting but I don't see why you couldn't apply that thinking to whatever project you're working on.
Inspiration at Sarah Bowen's blog: "Do you ever feel like something is on the verge of happening, something that will change the way you see your life right now? Is it possible to feel like this but to also feel a little lost too? To feel like you could figure it all out if you would just get that first hint or that first sign. If you could only figure out what the first step is, how to carry through to the rest!?!?!? ... I know that I can do anything that I put my mind to, the trick is just keeping my mind on whatever IT is."

Here's a quote I saw quite a while ago on a project Ali Edwards was showing on her blog. I feel it ties in with what I've been writing about:

there came a time
when the risk to remain
tight in a bud
was more painful than
the risk it took to blossom.


ANAIS NON

I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts, feelings about all this imperfection stuff! :) Thanks for taking the time to read what I've posted. I hope it can encourage at least one person. At the photography section of Pioneer Woman's website, one of her contributing photography "tutors", Miz Booshay, always ends her posts with "encourage one another". I love that. I encourage you. I encourage us...to try, to do, to create. To be willing. Keep working at cracking that shell to release the artist in you. (Or writer, or whatever your passion is).
I'm a work in progress. We all are, eh? I don't have all the answers but I'm finding inspiration in all these things I've been sharing. I'm hopeful...waiting....for that something that can no longer be denied to emerge. I hope you can all find ways to express your inner artist and release her to her fullest potential!!


(Ingrid Michaelson's 'Be OK' video)

Have a wonderful day-
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

PS. The lyrics to Amy Grant's song 'All I Ever Have to Be' encourage me too. Click HERE to check them out if you'd like.

2 comments:

LauraBelle said...

I don't get to get all about online on a daily basis to read everyone's posts and sometimes I miss one here or there ... I'm glad I "found" this post.

I am right with you on "fears and insecurities keep me from doing so much" and that with rejection thrown in is the cherry atop the ice-cream. I stress unnecessarily over too many things. I attribute it to just one of my several "character defects" per say from AA.

I'm better, better than even a few months back, but still have that under laying "feeling" of I'm just missing "something", tho I can't quite put my finger on it. Which then causes me frustration ... then the self pep talk ... *sigh* Who said growing older was easy, tho? Nobody I know anyway.

I love the ANAIS NON 'poem'. Somedays, for me tho, the pain is more reassuring than the bloom ... somewhat like being in the "pitt" you can put yourself in, like you start decorating the walls of your pitt making it more comfortable to wallow in it rather than climb out.

I know God's not done with me yet. I am after all His clay ... I'm glad you decided to post this as it's given me some things to truly think about! Blessings be to you!

themathchick said...

Thank you so much for writing and sharing this post. I don't know if I can even tell you how it resonated with me and inspired me.

Fears - especially fears of imperfection and rejection are a big obstacle that I, too, need to overcome. Being bold (and brave) and just putting myself (and my art) out there is scary, challenging, and all too easy to avoid. (I'm sure I'm right there with ya on the introvert test - LOL!!)

I think you've done wonderfully at putting yourself out there - with this blog, your art, etc. I haven't been brave enough to venture into blogging yet - though your post is encouraging me to just take a deep breath and do it :) After all...it just might be perfectly imperfect :)

I think that the concept of being perfectly imperfect is very liberating - it puts everything into perspective quite nicely. Your posts have inspired me to think about taking more risks - creatively...and to put myself out there a little bit more (in creating and in sharing my creations). After all - "It is ok"

Thank you for sharing all the lovely inspirational bits and pieces in your post - the links, photos, video, and song lyrics. Ooooh - and the photos of the kitties are absolutely adorable...they look like they might be singing along in the last photo ;)

Thank you for the encouragement - and I wish you much encouragement in return :)