One day I was writing something to someone about something I made (lol) and the only way I could describe how I felt about the item was to say it was "perfectly imperfect". Yes, the item had flaws but I happened to see the beauty in the imperfections in what I made. The imperfections make things unique. Our imperfections make each one of us unique. That's a good thing.
{image from Ali E's CafePress.com store...click HERE to go...you'll want to buy one of everything! ;) }
I love Ali Edward's mantra of "embrace imperfection". That's how great things come about, as a result from something being an accident or an imperfection. I hope you all can find some beauty in some of the imperfections around you.
There's a quote by Voltaire that I've been seeing around in some blogs lately: "The perfect is the enemy of the good". I believe I first saw it used at Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project site. It has been swirling around my head and after seeing it a few more times I've decided I should pay more attention to it. The way Gretchen put it really struck a chord in me. She wrote, “Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. In other words, instead of pushing yourself to an impossible “perfect,” and therefore getting nowhere, accept “good.” Many things worth doing are worth doing badly."
I think if you change "badly" for something like "imperfectly" it might have a more positive, do-able vibe to it. I don't know if I want to do something badly. ;) But I'll do/try it imperfectly. Sometimes imperfect has to be good enough.
And that leads me to a posting from Kal Barteski's website. Goshhhhh, I love her art & attitude. Her "bullet-proof attitude" as she puts it. Check out the posting here: Paint Away.
(artwork is © property of Kal Barteski, used here with permission)
I think it was that posting of Kal's and the inspiration of Ali Edwards that got me thinking about my "create something" phrase. Just create something. Just begin. A little paint splashed on a blank sheet of paper is a start. Or use whatever you have in front of you. Write one word. What does that word make you think of? Write it down. Take one picture. Try a different angle. Try different light. Try it with no flash (which is my preference, btw). :)
Just create something.
And then stand back and admire what you did. :)
And then create some more.
Have a wonderfully imperfect and creative day!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
*update....thanks :) to Merideth for this insight: "i was just discussing this with my son - although it wasn't about creating a tangible; it was about building a life. we were talking about having the courage to get out there and try something rather than remaining comfortable and growing stagnant." Well said and so true! Just trying something, in life or art...not getting hung up on being perfect or good at it. Just do it. (Oh, Nike knew that a long time ago, didn't they? ;) lol)

3 comments:
such a good post. strangely, i was just discussing this with my son - although it wasn't about creating a tangible; it was about creating a life. building a life might be better way to say it, lol. we were talking about having the courage to get out there and try something rather than remaining comfortable and growing stagnant.
oh, and about david cook and music player - the player is free. if you click on mine, it'll take you to the site where you can create your own playlist(s). then you can create the html to put it on your site. yes, i believe dc's ai songs were available on an ai cd they did "ai gives back." i took a quick peek at americanidol.com and at the bottom is a link to buy cds - not sure if they're only the artist's cds or if they also have show cds.
Thank you for writing this post - it came along at the most perfect time for me. In the midst of my creative slump, I needed to be reminded to embrace imperfection - and that perfectly imperfect is perfectly fine for me :) I'm also now remembering another of my favorite Ali-isms "It is Ok". Thank you again for reminding me of the brilliance of being perfectly imperfect!
I'm also inspired to share one of my favorite quotes from Scott Adams here..."Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep"...so here's to embracing imperfection, enjoying the process, and being perfectly imperfect, my friend :)
You posted this at the "perfect" time. I read it on the "perfect" day ... it all makes "perfect" sense! QUOTE: "Many things worth doing are worth doing badly."
"I think if you change "badly" for something like "imperfectly" it might have a more positive, do-able vibe to it. I don't know if I want to do something badly. ;) But I'll do/try it imperfectly. Sometimes imperfect has to be good enough."
Thank you for having made my morning! I will carry this thought all day long, and smile more today because of it. {{huggz}}
Post a Comment